by Chris Oryschak, Product Manager
When we first launched Digits in 2014, our goal was to help you grow your user base through simple phone number verification. Before Digits, signing into apps was painful for app users. Passwords are hard to manage; more than 90% of users leave a service without attempting account recovery. Our own research also told us that over 70% of mobile teams aren’t happy with the traditional sign-in experience for their apps.
In a little over two years, Digits has helped over 20,000+ developers create frictionless sign-in flows and made it easy for 140 million users to log into apps in more than 200 countries. During that time, we’ve been thrilled by the response from the mobile community:
As we ramped up Digits to better serve you, we noticed there were limits to how much we could do on our own to make authentication even more seamless. That was one of the reasons why in January, we decided to join Google and partner with the Firebase team on the next evolution of Digits - leveraging Google’s global-scale infrastructure.
Today, we’re excited to introduce Firebase phone authentication - the next evolution of authentication. Firebase phone authentication includes the best of Digits plus more power, reliability and new features to drive user growth.
Everything you love, plus more
Firebase phone authentication will carry these existing features from Digits:
- SMS-based phone number authentication
- SDK with drop-in user flow for phone number entry, confirmation code sending, confirmation code entry and auth token creation
- iOS, Android & Web support
- SMS auth message customization
- Global delivery capability
- Minimum Android version
On top of these, we’ve upgraded our service to give you:
- Faster user growth: new Android SDK features instant, 1 touch verification for users in your apps
- More reliability: powered by the same telephony infrastructure that supports all Google products
- More power: new, direct API access joins our simple-to-deploy SDKs for the ultimate in flexibility
- Completely white-labeled: fully customizable phone authentication UI through our headless API
To better serve you and innovate more quickly, we're graduating our service into Firebase and officially sunsetting the Digits brand. The Digits SDK and digits.com will continue to be functional until September 30th, 2017, at which point they will be retired fully. In the meantime, Firebase phone authentication will remain free of charge.
To help you upgrade easily, we are giving you the ability to link your existing Fabric account to Firebase. This will automatically migrate all your authentication data so your existing, verified users don’t need to log in again once you’ve deployed your app with Firebase phone authentication. And don’t worry - it won’t impact your current users in any way.
Just follow our migration guides to upgrade:
We look forward to continue working with Firebase and helping you unlock global growth for your apps!